You have purchased a photovoltaic installation and you are wondering how to maintain your solar panels to optimize their production. Here are 5 tips to help you maintain your photovoltaic panels.
- DETERMINE THE CLEANING FREQUENCY OF YOUR SOLAR PANELS
It is advisable to check the condition of your panels at least 3 times a year and to clean them at least once a year. But when is the best time?
With the return of fine weather: like all great households, spring is propitious and less dangerous. In addition, the dirt may have accumulated with winter storms!
In the fall, if your roof is a little inclined, if it does not rain often in your area. If your environment is conducive to dirt, renew your big spring cleaning… shortly before entering winter!
This is also imperative in the following cases:
- In an urban environment, with heavy vehicle traffic around your home
- In the countryside, near farms: plowing, harvesting and spreading produce a lot of dust in the air
- Near the sea: the sand, the spray that deposits salt on the solar panels and the droppings of seagulls are formidable.
FOLLOW RULES TO CLEAN YOUR SOLAR PANELS
Certain dangers can arise when cleaning your photovoltaic modules, so a few rules must be observed:
- Don’t step on your solar panels!
- Do not spray very cold water on the photovoltaic panel. Indeed, the difference between the outside temperature and the temperature of the water can cause a thermal shock that could damage the solar cells.
- Never use a device that sprays water at high pressure: this can damage the seals around the solar panel.
- Do not exaggerate by rubbing or scraping the panel if dirt is stubborn: you risk scratching the glass!
- FOLLOW THE STEPS TO CLEAN YOUR SOLAR PANELS
To properly clean your solar panels, you need to have the right technique and follow 3 key steps.
- Go up on the roof with the usual precautions to avoid slipping: suitable shoes, and use a ladder for work at height.
- Spray clear water, preferably demineralised, on the panel.
- Remove all traces of water, and dirt by running a squeegee over the glass, in a single gesture without pressing and scraping.
- Once your photovoltaic panels are clean, you can get 15% to 35% more efficiency. It’s worth it !
- CHOOSE THE SUITABLE PRODUCTS TO PROTECT YOUR SOLAR PANELS
Many products exist to clean the house, but for solar panels, it is a little different. Not all detergents are suitable, and an all-purpose cleaner should be avoided at all costs. To find the appropriate product, nothing could be simpler than a visit to a DIY store where you can ask your installer.
- CALL ON A SPECIALIZED COMPANY
Too dangerous ? No motivation? You can always hire a specialist to clean your solar panels. It is not free, but you are assured of a neat and professional work. Soon available at H&M Enterprises!